Painted Buffet

I have a fun and quick new update for you guys today.  Last summer, my parents happened upon a garage sale on their way home from Ohio.  They picked up a bunch of things, including this really nice, small buffet.  It had been sitting outside for a while but was still in pretty great condition considering it was in the elements.  I've know for a while I wanted a buffet in the dining room since I have 2 sets of dishes and no where to store the second set.  This will be the perfect spot to store them and display items on top, or use for serving.



To start, I found a color that I fell in love with and I let that be my inspiration for it. Aubusson Blue by Annie Sloan.  I'm not sure what it was about the color, but I just loved the saturated blue.

Artsy Chicks Rule
Thrifty Decor Chick
 I painted the body of the buffet with 2 coats of the blue.  I could have gotten away with just one coat but I went with 2 to have a bit more coverage.  I waxed the entire thing with the clear wax and added dark wax to the raised edges and the detail pieces at the top.  I updated the original hardware and spray painted them with Rustoleom Soft Iron.  The color was really cool, but be careful with that spray can.  I think more got on my hand then on the hardware.  Not cool Rustoleom, not cool.



For the top of this piece, I wanted it keep it the gorgeous dark wood.  The top was in the worst shape, so I sanded it down as much as I could.  Once it was sanded enough, I gave it 2 coats of Minwax Red Oak and 4 coats of Semi Gloss Poly.  The Red Oak matched perfectly to the existing interior color.


I am so happy with how this turned out.  It was such a quick and easy DIY.  It adds just the right amount of storage and character to our dining room.  And it's a piece that will be in our house for a very long time!



Are you loving the color as much as me?  I'd love to hear what you think!  


Be sure and follow me on social media as well!


Linked with Less-Than-Perfect Life of Bliss, Thrifty Decor Chic


Comments

  1. It's absolutely beautiful! I love the color and you did a wonderful job on this piece. I like that you kept the top dark. I would think this color would be lovely in any room.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Pat! I am really glad I kept the top dark as well. I love having that original wood element.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous, Christin! You did a fantastic job. Thank you for linking it up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jordan! This is by far my favorite piece yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts