File cabinet makeover

I have a lot of projects on my "to-do" list and one is to get my office  organized and decorated.  On the top of the office project list was to find a file cabinet.  I really wanted a lateral file cabinet and those suckers are expensive!  The metal ones start over $100 and the nicer, wood ones are more like $200-$300.  There was no way I was going to spend that kind of money, so I was keeping my eyes open for a used cabinet that I could re-do.

A couple weeks ago my mom sent me a text that she found a file cabinet for only $25!  They picked it up and brought it over that same morning.  The cabinet was in great condition, except for a small stain on the top.  I knew I wanted to paint it anyways, so the stain didn't bother me.


I decided to go with a oil based primer to make sure it stuck well to the metal.  I used a 3 inch foam roller and taped the handles and lock.  I also made sure to paint in a well ventilated room since the oil based primer is much stronger than water based.  For added coverage, I did 2 coats of primer.



Once the second coat of primer was done, I started with the paint.  I chose Bonsai Tint from Sherwin Williams in a High Gloss paint.  Again, I used the foam roller and did 3 coats of paint.  The painting took me two nights to complete and it was very easy.



I can finally start getting all my papers and files organized and put away.  Plus, I can finally go shopping for office supplies.  (I'm such a dork but I love office supplies!)



I added the fun lettering to the cabinets and purchased this globe that I've been eyeing for a while.  We have no art or window coverings in the office yet and need an actual office chair.  But for now we are off to a good start.  The desk I bought from a co-worker and I will be painting that too but can't decide on what color that will be.


Overall, the file cabinet makeover cost me less than the price of a brand new cabinet.  And now I can get the office organized and clean!  I hope you enjoyed this little project!

Don't forget to find me on the following:

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13819123/?claim=gvkwmpgvbkn">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Comments

Popular Posts