Headboard Makeover

I hope you all had a great holiday weekend.  We spent the 4th at my parents, relaxing, visiting and playing yards games.  Even Teddy got to join us and meet my sister's dogs for the first time.  He's still worn out from all the excitement that he's been sleeping in his kennel the last 2 days.


A couple months back as I was driving home from work I saw a little headboard sitting on the sit of the road.  It looked cute but I am not the type to grab stuff from off the road.  I mentioned it to my husband and said I wished I would have grabbed it.  I was sure it would be gone the next time I drove by.  So, the next day, as I was driving home I was convinced that it would be gone.  I drove past the spot I saw it sitting the day before but didn't see it.  Bummer.  But then I saw it!  I was lying down in the grass so it was really hard to see.  It took a bit for me to get it in my car but I finally got it in my trunk.  It's a good thing I lived just down the road, because I couldn't shut my trunk.



Teddy paws photo bomb
Thankfully, for sitting outside for a couple days, it was in pretty good shape.  The back of one of the panels had a crack, but other than that it was a solid piece.  I loved the floral detail on the 2 panels.  Knowing I was going to be refinishing it and didn't need a headboard that size for my house my first thought was that it was a great piece for a little girls room.

It sat in my dining room under the kitchen bar for weeks.  Too many other projects and tasks kept getting in the way but I was itching to get working on it.  When I finally got around to working on it my first task was to fix the crack in the back to make it more secure.  I filled the whole with wood glue and stuck some paint stir sticks in the gap to help the glue bond.  Then I took some wood shims and stuck them in the gap, marked how tall it needed to be and cut it down.  I applied more wood glue to the shims and stuck them back into the gap.  Once that was dry, I filled it all up with wood putty and let it dry again.  The repair was complete and I could finally prime the headboard.




Since my vision for this headboard was for a little girl, I wanted to keep it light and simple.  The whole headboard was painted with 3 coats Falling Snow.  The flowers were painted using acrylic paint in various shades of pink, green and yellow.  The final result was exactly what I pictured it would be.  I am so excited with how this turned out.



Wouldn't you have loved this bed when you were little?  I'll answer that for you.  Yes, yes you would have.  I mean, come on!  So cute!  Now that it's finished, I wish I had a little girl so I could keep this 



I'd love to hear what you think of my makeover.  Be sure to comment below.

For lots more fun updates, be sure to follow me on the following:


Comments

  1. This is absolutely adorable!! I love the paint colors you chose! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Autumn. I tested a bunch out before I decided on these and they were the perfect ones.

      Delete
  2. Great Job! Wonderful transformation

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts