Ikea Rast Hack

I have had my mind set on doing one of these for months.  You've probably seen a lot of these lately, since it seems like everyone is doing them.  In case you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain it a bit.  Ikea sells a small 3 drawer dresser called the Rast.  It's made of pine and looks pretty plain, but it only costs $35!  So, like me, many people have purchased them and used their imagination to create it into something that looks a lot more appealing and customized.

Finally, a couple weeks ago, I went to Ikea and picked up 2 of these guys.  One of them I will be using in my guest room as a night stand and the one I'm showing you today will be going into my booth at Caledonia Vintage Marketplace.

Just me holding my freshly signed contract.  I was a little excited.

I had been debating what color I wanted to paint this and was stuck between navy blue and a light blue.  As luck would have it, while we were in Lowe's last weekend I found a quart of the perfect Navy Blue on the oops shelf.  It's like it was meant to be!  So, I had my paint color, now for hardware.  Sometimes there are perks to working for a company that sells cabinets and the like.  I ended up grabbing 3 pulls that had been returned.


Once I was able to assemble the dresser, I primed it was a coat of  water-based primer. Once it was dry I went over everything with my new sander!  I gave the dresser 3 coats of paint, sanding between each one.  Then I went over everything with a couple coats of semi-gloss poly.
The bar pulls also got a coat of primer, several coats of paint and 2 coats of poly.  I drilled new holes to the pulls and that was it!



What do you think?  I'm really excited this turned out so well and can't wait to start working on the next one.

Even Teddy likes it!
Be sure to follow me on the following:

As seen on Thrifty Chick Decor and AKA Design

Comments

Popular Posts